View Single Post
Old 14th August 2019, 14:52   #35
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Default Talking about overweight vehicles

Round these quiet parts (for about 5 minutes at 3.30 am ), I have noticed that VOSA is stopping dangerously overloaded vehicles / un-safe trucks at the Dartford crossings (congestion causing zone ).

Talking to the highways people whilst my bike is transported via the crossings, it comes as a shock to some of our eastern european neighbours (mostly seems to be them being stopped here from my experience) that they have overweight vehicles.

Mercedes van (the only vehicle of choice, it seems) with loads of luggage, 5-6 people on board, plus parcels to send home and of course the obligatory large twin axle trailer (with a different number plate on and often trailer board lights not working) with a large 4 x 4 being transported.

That little lot makes them well overweight, so they have to get rid of the excess weight, fix the issues and pay the fines before allowed back on their way. They also get fined for not having a tacho (as they are delivering parcels).

VOSA are immobilising the vehicles to ensure this. Some think that simply having their rolled up bank notes and dispensing cash is the solution to everything!

Good on VOSA. Finally.

Same happening to dangerous foreign trucks. One had noisy brakes on the trailer, so he thought it prudent to remove the shoes. When he got clamped and the wads of notes didn't get him waived swiftly through, he was most miffed. VOSA were busy with other things for a few hours after fixing the trailer and other issues (and paying the fines), so he was quite late and irate.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote