Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
It goes from bad to worse.

I removed the slam panel and managed to get enough movement in the radiator shroud - which wasn't bolted to the radiator - to enable me to manoeuvre the condenser back onto the radiator brackets. I also managed to get the one remaining top bolt into its bracket.

The bad news is that there appears to be a broken lug on the intercooler, which I imagine should locate on a spigot on the side of the radiator, but obviously won't. It seems that the intercooler was only supported by the two bolts through the bottom of the fan shroud.

Difficult to see as it's very oily around there. It looks like I'll have to make some sort of bracket to try and support the intercooler.
Hi Dave
i was help a member on here yesterday to sort out his intercooler also, which it turns out was supposed to be a brand new after market intercooler, (NOT) it was an old one off another car which had been put on by a mechanic also on here, whom i can not name as the owner of the car is going to speak to him about the findings and most likely take the appropriate action via proper channels, as there as been a lot of other work undertaken on the car by said mechanic which was also not done, but the owner was charged for.

That had no locating ring brackets either, which in turn drops even though like you say as the two 8 mm bolts through the fan at the bottom, they did not make a bit of difference, it still allowed the intercooler bend with viton O-rings fitted by me to still pull out a little, well in fact it was the intercooler that was dropping as the bend as it's own support.

changing the condenser at the same time was how we found out the fault, and the second hand intercooler.

As you can see the (INTC) is not new

In this photo you can clearly see the locating peg on the rad to which the intercooler should be fitted and supported by.

Another photo showing that there are no support rings on the back of the intercooler and how far it drops with no such support.

In the end we went for a two way approach using a grub screw & cable ties on the intercooler, this maybe temporary that depends on the owner of the car, he may want to source another god intercooler.

Grub screw through intercooler and into the bend, and cable tie around the cooler and through brackets behind it.

Photo show the supporting ring brackets on a diesel intercooler, not my photo.

You may know of another was to solve it please post it up and thanks for listing your problem

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote