View Single Post
Old 12th December 2021, 20:21   #4
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

I would view the process in stages. First and in my view a cost free essential is to photograph your key blade and store the image safely for any future use. A new key can be cut from the image and supplied via post by a number of online vendors who now provide such a service. The image needs to meet the requirements of the vendor, usually just a close-up, clear and vertical image showing the pattern on the key for the vendor to copy from. I used Aliexpress where a cut key can be had atm for less than £7 delivered to the UK. That is just for a cut key with empty fob shell, no internals for remote locking and no immobiliser chip. Comes from China so might have to wait a few weeks for delivery. There are UK vendors on ebay offering this service too with maybe faster delivery but last time I looked they struggled to compete on price with the Chinese vendors on Aliexpress.

Once you have a cut key that mechanically works in your car locks only then would I think about contacting one of the site gurus to get it working fully. They can usually provide the internals for the key and a programming service. Some might be able to provide an uncut key too but not sure if any can yet provide a full service with cutting. Getting someone to cut a key which you provide yourself has proven to be difficult if not impossible for some members. Many UK vendors are not apparently willing to cut a key unless they provide the blank blade, so best check with any local key cutter before you go for this option.

Another step to keep the cost down would be to obtain the internal PCB for remote locking yourself. They can be sourced from used keys obtained from the likes of ebay, car breakers or maybe other members/owners. This you can program to the car yourself if you feel up to it using free software like TOAF or alternatively you can get a guru to do it for you. The immobiliser chip is where most need help with as it requires special knowledge and equipment to program to the car.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote