View Single Post
Old 11th June 2019, 05:47   #85
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
I am at the reassembly stage of a T-stat replacement on my new-to-me ZT190.
Having had a manifold gasket fail on my KV6 Freelander sending a jet of coolant across the vee I decided to replace the gaskets. I can vouch that the green gaskets with the silicone tracks are the factory gaskets.
I reached the stage where it's time to re-install the plenum and also discovered a mystery plug. This must be the same one as described before. I have wasted an hour trying to find where it goes and am relieved to find out it may be for non-existent traction control.

Kaiser, can you verify that this plug is the same as my mystery plug please? Mine has a very nice right angle boot stamped with BMW molded onto a cable.
I will post a pic here when my photo hosting site is back up.

I do have to say the later type intake manifolds (for engines with 6 pencil coils) are much easier to re and re. They lack the cast in webs that make it more difficult to get a straight shot at the bottom manifold mounting bolts.
Has anyone converted to the later coil system?
I cannot verify anything, because I cannot remember how it looks, and it is years since I was there! But I might well have written about it sometimes and I certainly remember there was a spare plug, somewhere near the ABS module/battery area. I think this plug is there at all times, and if you have no TC, it just lies there with no purpose.
So if you have no TC, expect at least one spare plug!