View Single Post
Old 29th January 2022, 10:49   #4
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
short version, to provide some light to the area where the warning triangle is kept. Went to access it last night in the middle of nowhere and could not see the straps to release it or the turn screws to lower the flap.

long version.... long and boring, the wifes car needs the front and rear tracking checked, a new wheel and some paint, all at less then 20mph. Someone apparently having their foot slip off the clutch at a roundabout and hitting her rear half as she went passed but that is not why i needed the light but the run up to it. She drove after exchanging details for about 20 minutes stopping at some red traffic lights. The engine stopped as she has auto shut off but would not start. the headlights when out when she tried.
Strange but I tried a jump start and nothing, had the car recovered home. Insurance today have out us in touch with repair company, hire car being arranged, also put in touch with a claims lawyer, been told not to drive car it will be collected, been advised it is a non fault incident and no claims not a/effected... bet premium is. Admiral insurance have been so far very good. Lets see what the repair looks like

macafee2

So you need a light to show up the triangle flap when dark.

The circuit is easy, pick up a + and - from the rear light or number plate light circuit, incorporate a tilt switch, you only want it on when the tailgate is open, a tilt switch will ensure this happens if positioned correctly.

The awkward bit is where to position a light source to shine upwards and illuminate that area to allow you access the flap, which when you look at it would be difficult to mount on the tailgate, so the only option for a light would be in load area, pointing upwards.

Or carry a small torch in the car, something I've done with all the cars I've owned, still do, handy for doing many things in the dark, wheel change etc.

There are a vast number of cheap torches,using conventional batteries, to re-chargeable, to wind up ones, the old wind up ones used to charge Ni-Cads which eventually failed, the newer ones charge up a capacitor, there are even wind up ones with a small solar panel to keep it charged.