View Single Post
Old 13th December 2019, 21:24   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Teddy View Post
I have always had the hiss of pressure release when I check the coolant level after the vehicle has been left overnight in almost 7 years of ownership and that includes since I had the head gasket (MLS ) and water pump replaced in April 2018
How is that pressure created? It's impossible for trapped air to change pressure when tested at a fixed temperature. This is especially so where the header is opened on an almost daily basis.

In fifteen years of ownership, I have never had a significant hiss when opening the cold system. I suspect this 'common' 1.8 system hiss is due to equally common issues with the head gasket/liners. The factory fitted elastomer gasket was never 100% reliable from day one to the day MGR closed shop. And the much lauded MLS wasn't all it was expected to be for many 1.8 engines.

Quote:
I also replaced the coolant temperature sensor 3 months ago ( again on recommendation of club members ) after the ( unreliable ) temp gauge went down to the 6 o`clock position and fan ran on high speed and it corrected that issue, regards Paul
If the gauge drops to the 'off' position. the high speed fan is automatically tripped from the loss of signal from the head sensor. It's almost always due to faulty wiring/connector. The temperature sensors are usually bombproof. Of course fitting a new one means you reconnect the bad connection. It's often caused by grime and muck in the plug.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 13th December 2019 at 21:30..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote