View Single Post
Old 7th January 2022, 23:04   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default My view

I think the fault/responsibility for the collision lies >80% with the cyclist and <20% with the car driver for the following reasons.

1. The cyclist unsuccessfully tried to overtake the car on the inside at a junction.

2. He then did the same at the next junction and collided with the car.

3. In both cases the cyclist positioned himself poorly in what I would describe as the danger zone coming up to a left turn. The probability of the cyclist being in the driver's blind zone was high.

4. I would say that the only thing the car driver did wrong was to signal rather late. This is a passive failure i.e. a failure to execute good practice. A following vehicle should expect such omissions and position itself far enough behind to be able to stop within the available distance.

5. If the cyclist had been another car or motorcycle, they would have gone into the rear left of the blue car and no one would have blamed the driver of the blue car.

IMO the police were right not to prosecute the car driver but should have prosecuted the cyclist for careless riding.

The cyclist with the camera runs a youtube channel and is a vigilante. I notice from his videos that he is always looking over his shoulder in order to spot car drivers using phones etc. and as a result tends to wobble a lot.

IMO the need for cyclists to display clear registration plates and hold third party insurance is long overdue.