View Single Post
Old 24th November 2021, 12:06   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Oooh lots of very good points for me to try to answer.

Yes I know Ian and I don't disagree with you on your point that the meaning of "genuine" is open to interpretation.

I have no idea when the parts were made or the identity of the manufacturer, but then that also applies to parts bought for cars which remain in production at an assembly plant which is still trading. So I would ask, why make a big thing of it as far as MG Rover is concerned?

Ha, ha. No sweets I'm afraid but I'm not a fan of that sort of marketing anyway.

Hi Alan,

Rimmer Bros., BS Motors/E Car Parts and many ex-MGR main dealers are what I would call X-Part "agents" since they have an account with X-Part and obtain their stock from them. In that respect I suppose X-Part could be called a wholesaler but they will also sell direct to the vehicle owner without imposing wholesale minimum order quantities. You could say that's the best of both worlds!

Yes, I would agree with you there. Another example is the anti-roll bar ("drop") links.

Yes Andy, also in my experience China and the UK. But (politics aside) does it really matter where parts are made so long as they are functional, durable and are a reasonable price?

£6 was just the shipping charge.

Simon

Hi Simon,
Why do I make a big thing? For me it is about honesty, about the buyer getting what they paid for. If Rover made the part at Cowley or Longbridge that is genuine, if Simon Engineering made the part in "2005" and shipped it to Rover that is genuine. If Simon engineering made the parts in 2005 nd shipped to Rover but made this part in 2020, that is OEM but if Simon Engineering never existed until 2020 in any shape or form and made the part in 2020 then that is pattern.

There are complaints about pattern parts but what about parts made in 2020 by a company that never supplied Rover but box it up in a Rover box so we think it is genuine, we will then complain about genuine parts. Genuine parts cost more 9 times out of 10.

I now ask you, would you be happy buying a part described as genuine but made in 2020 by a company that never supplied Rover?
My question is not about quality, about genuine believing it to be genuine.

Anyone that thinks it is ok, ask a woman if they are happy to pay top dollar for a Radley handbag only to find out it is a "Turkish" knock off?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote