Thread: Electric cut
View Single Post
Old 12th December 2021, 12:37   #27
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
People are installing electric garage door openers, which, with power loss, are keeping their (all-weather, 4 wheel drive) cars in the garage.
In addition, people are abandoning all home phones with cords, which will continue to work during power cuts, unlike cordless home phones.
And some people are swapping their PSTN phones for VOIP phones, which rely on mains power to their broadband connections.

I think people, in the countryside, reliant upon power, coming over overhead power lines, need to seriously consider their options, in the event of power loss. Overhead power lines will always be vulnerable to bad weather. And multiple faults increase the time to repair.

This can be easily simulated, by switching OFF their mains electricity, and see what is left working.

Being prepared for a power loss will dramatically reduce the impact, if a power outage does occur, rather than just going for the cheapest, or more 'convenient' option.

Be prepared.

(And keep a manual toothbrush to hand !!!)
Apologies if I seem to lack sympathy.

Rant over

Recently BT have asked its customers to plug their phones into the router from now on, try explaining that to an 87 year old with no power, gas or other means to heat the house.

In the naive rush to get rid of gas, coal, wood burners, banks, cash where does that leave these poor souls in northern climates?

Btw, the battery power for the telephone exchange only seems to last around 24 hours on its own, then no matter what phone type you have the line goes dead.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones as I have a generator, I could live quite comfortably for days on end, the only thing missing was the phone and internet, no great miss tbh. Not Surprisingly my house was full of the family all moving back home, was nice to be together again.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote