View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2021, 18:57   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Here's the process that I would go through. I'll word it as if I was advising the OP.

1. Do you crave having a more modern car and have the means to comfortably afford one. If so, get one - the XE is a really fine car. End of story.

2. Do you have the means to spend around £4k to £5k on a hobby without having to turn down the heating during winter? If so, go with your heart and get the ZT fixed. Ask an expert, e.g. trikey, to spend a couple of hours giving your car a thorough inspection at your expense and advising you of all that is likely to to need attention in order to make the car last another 5 years. Then give it to the same expert or his recommended operator to do all the work in one go so as to catch areas likely to rust or otherwise deteriorate before the worm starts eating away. End of story and enjoy the car for the next 4-5 year.

3. If neither of the above are true, get rid of the ZT and buy a car you like. I think the VW CC is a beautiful car and cannot possibly have significant reliability issues as it is basically a sexy Passat - a Passat in classy leathers if you like. Get one and enjoy.

4. If funds are not plentiful and you are concerned about the more sophisticated modern cars, buy a 2015 to 2017 Astra or Focus. They are not super complex, most garages can work on them, parts are good quality but cheap, but they are absolutely competent. In fact, if you choose the right engine, they can be a pleasure to drive.

5. Do not think about what you may get back from a car - assume that whatever you put in is a one-time write-off.

Do remember that the 75/ZT were not exactly the epitome of reliability in the public's eyes when they were current. Also, in my opinion too many people are wrongly thinking that an XE or XF is a 75/ZT equivalent car. They are a huge step above the 75/ZT in every way and therefore carry ownership costs to match. If it's a like for like replacement in terms of competence and comfort it would more realistic to think in terms of a Passat, Mondeo, Insignia etc.

I've done 1 and 2 and not regretted it.

Last edited by MSS; 23rd September 2021 at 19:17..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote