View Single Post
Old 24th July 2021, 22:41   #137
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

My last post will be on this thread I think..

The point I was making here alongside trying to help others despite the thoughts and beliefs of others is..

If parts sellers are advertising a product, you buy said parts or products expecting that part or product to work the same way as the originally designed item "unless" otherwise stated.

My gripe.. how many times has the "mgr were penny pinching before Longbridge closed" comment been made on this forum.. if mgr were going to the extent of removing the plastic seatbelt anchor bolt plastic covers.. not to mention rear anti roll bars etc.. then why didn't mg rover fit 82°c thermostats to accommodate a wider range of ambient temperatures for hotter climates? Must have been a reason! Seeing how when my other thermostat was "only" just reaching 82°c on my 7 mile drive home in -5°c temps and by only just I mean a couple of streets from home..

Do a Google search, the normal running temperature for most modern engines is between 90°c or more the designed thermostat opening temp for the kv6 is 88+/-2°c so why the change to a lower temp?

Kaiser - I appreciate your offers of reassurance and I am now taking the approach of "why worry". As said above.. - as you stated though Kaiser after 5km's your temperature reaches 95°c
. The newer thermostats don't! I can drive as I have done recently at 70mph for over 200 miles and still be sat at 82°c the entire time. With the heater off with outside temps above 20°c.

If the thermostats that are available today, do run at the lower temperature.. advertise it to the buying public and inform them of the change in running temp to prevent confusion amongst owners. Had I been informed when buying, that the running temp was lower, but also been given a brief offer of reassurance that it is not an issue
. I couldn't care less. Why should customers/owners purchase a part and then be worried that there's a potential issue and have to go through hoops to find it may not cause any problems.

As said above.. most vehicles run a minimum of 90°c.

My thoughts.. saic are making the parts (possibly in China) a hotter climate where the car effectively continued until 2016 where the climate is hotter. The 88°c stat wasn't working well so.. 82°c stat was used and this is all that is available for all kv6 engines now for cost savings..due to the decline in parts demand due to numbers falling away...
just my personal thoughts..

With regards to another thread offered by stocktake in regards to modifying the top hose and fitting an inline thermostat. (This is by no means a dig or anything negative aimed at anybody). I personally don't see this as a fix.. more a bodge because the originally designed part isn't made to the required specification. It isn't something I would be looking towards doing. (Can't we just have a thermostat that works as originally designed?)

If this was any other car current or not and a replacement thermostat was found to be opening earlier, resulting in lower running coolant temperature.. I'm sure the part would be returned as defective? Wouldn't it?

Apologies in advance if this causes anybody any Ill feeling. This isn't particularly an issue to cause I'll feeling.. it's just a thermostat when all is said and done. I appreciate others views and comments and take these on board.
I would like to stay on friendly terms with the people of this forum/club so I won't be commenting on the kv6 thermostats any further for fear of causing upset or ill feeling.

R

Last edited by biffa75; 25th July 2021 at 01:36..
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote