View Single Post
Old 6th September 2020, 16:39   #8
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogweed View Post
I must be being stupid here, but… isn't the facelift grille completely different from the older (better quality) style? On my facelift model, the “badge” is just a kind of cheap and nasty sticker in a depression on the grille, so to replace it you're supposed to change the whole grille …

When mine faded away to nothing some years ago, not realising there was a difference, I ordered an earlier badge, then of course discovered there was no way of attaching it.

I decided it would look OK if I just glued it over the depression where the existing badge is, and it’s been fine for many years, but now the finish has completely gone on it too.

Anybody know how to remove No More Nails
The old decal can be easily removed by applying a low heat (hair dryer on 'high' or electric heat gun on 'low') and just peeling off when heated through (be careful not to blister the 'chrome' grill surround). I obtained a new decal off Jezzer on here - it was ever so slightly oversize for the recess so the edges needed a bit of fettling with a file to obtain a snug fit.
Make sure any small remnants of the old adhesive are completely removed (apply with a cloth - I used a quick once over with cellulose thinners and then a little electrical contact cleaner) and just carefully centralise and apply the new self adhesive decal applying pressure outwards from the centre to the edges - 100% improvement...
I think 3 light sprayed coats of clear semi-matt acrylic varnish will give it a few more years of life to the new badge - they fade because water gets under the substrate via the exposed edges and any small chips from road debris etc., the varnish gives it that little bit more protection.

Last edited by rab60bit; 6th September 2020 at 16:44..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote