View Single Post
Old 8th June 2020, 12:03   #209
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
I think the 75/ZTs are quite useable as an everyday car, and will give long reliable service if well maintained, and if you pay attention to a few weak points (plenums on diesels etc.). But, I think you do need to be a bit 'hands-on' with the spanners to maintain these vehicles in good condition, otherwise you will get ripped off by garages that are often quite ignorant of these cars and their foibles.

I am probably going to move my 75 on shortly to make way for another project. Mainly for three reasons:

- It is hardly used at the moment, not just due to lock-down, but because I have finished my MGB GT project and I enjoy using that whenever I can find the excuse !
- I am getting fed up replacing poor quality after market parts on almost an annual basis - drop links, lower front arms etc. We have terrible roads around here and these items just do not last, wherever you buy them from.
- I do not enjoy working on the 75 as much as working on older classics (MGBs etc.) - the access is more difficult for most jobs and the engineering is not so robust as back in the 1960's - more special tools are needed. I don't think I could face doing another clutch or front lower arms on a 75 - I would rather work on a classic MG.

Just my idle thoughts on a Monday morning.

Pete
You make some good points. Also rot due to age is a factor. A lot of cars from the 60’s have now had some serious restoration to mitigate the tin worm. The 75 and ZT whilst holding up well, have some poor examples which make them uneconomical to repair. I’ve just scrapped one that was terminal. There are always going to be poor ones but their numbers are slowly growing. I decided that my MG TF would be my final “older” car. From now on it’s modern bland or a very well restored classic.