View Single Post
Old 16th April 2020, 22:54   #12
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I'm not in the slightest way objecting or criticising the benefits system. Indeed, I'm proud of our society that looks after the incapacitated, the genuinely unwell or the truly incapable. And as for the NHS, well - I have good reason to thank it for my life - twice.

On the other hand, and in view of the current furloughing, another Americanism we could do without, I have serious doubts that every beneficiary will be deserving, or that all claimants or their erstwhile employers will be squeaky clean. Nor will I praise the chairmen or directors of the big companies who do not forego their Midas level bonuses and share options/expenses rackets while they claim finance from the rest of us. Crises bring out the best and the unbelievable worst in some people, I hope 'their names are taken' and publicised.

On a personal note, Celia and I were today considering our own position in the light of current events. We both are incredibly, for the first time ever, hugely relieved to be old, no - ancient, and beyond the danger zone of imposed poverty due to whatever our betters (we no longer have 'elders') and seniors deem to be in our best interests. Of course, they are always wrong anyway.

That's it, midnight, off to dreams of better things, following a wee one from my bottle of Mandarine Napolean. And I don't even care if it is French.