View Single Post
Old 17th April 2020, 14:41   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Because like you and I many are actual human beings, they pay what they can afford and still make a living themselves.

No state pension then?

Not so easy when you can't advertise the job because you can't afford to pay minimum wage for it.

And I suppose you think that there's someone qualified well enough to decide who falls into which category with 100% accuracy?

Targets aside - Not sure how you are drawing black and white lines there.
'IF' farmers were paid what it would actually cost if labourers were paid minimum wage and 'IF' they could get local people to do that hard graft for the minimum wage then I'm sure you are right - people will pay that (or starve if they can't afford it). OK, back to the real world where the supermarkets are the biggest buyers and compete with each other down to the penny on all prices - undercutting is not an occasional thing - it's how the market works.

And I've no idea what you've seen on TV. To say that stinking rich farmers is representative of the whole industry would be so far from the truth it's unbelievable.

'benefits available ... add up to more than your net income if you chose [sic] to work' ?? In your dreams maybe. I've never been better off (had higher income) unemployed than employed in all my life. And a lot of that was before there was even a concept of minimum wage.

I think we are getting our wires crossed

re And I've no idea what you've seen on TV. To say that stinking rich farmers is representative of the whole industry would be so far from the truth it's unbelievable.

I never said it was representative I was saying that I'm sure there was a program about RR and a farming family had 8 or was it they had had 7 previously and were on the 8th?

The pay for the farm workers I assume is linked to what the farmer gets and industry pay. I do not think either living wage or minimum wage is enough. Even in 2024 I have my doubts about it. Ask me what it should be, don't know, partly because I don't know what I earnt full time but not less then £10

I doubt I could cover all bases with an opinion.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote