Old 16th September 2020, 22:04   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightRovery View Post
Evening all,

Going to service my 05 CDTI this weekend.
The only way I can get under the car to get the sump plug undone is to drive it up 2 of them blue under wheel ramps (front wheels only).
My question is, with the sump plug being at the back of the sump horizontily. Will this drain all the oil out? with the car being on a slant will it be an issue.
I plan to put 6l rather than 6.75l and use the dipstick to top up accordingly.

Thanks people
Been doing mine for over ten years with a PELA pump.

Obviously the engine likes it and uses no oil between oil changes.

By the time you get your car up on the ramps after fighting with the under-tray and blood pressure in your head I will have got most of the old oil out of the engine even though I've not been there but away making a cup of tea.

Five minutes max taking out the old oil filter ( With a bit of cloth around it in case of oil spill ) and fitting the new one.

Fill with new oil. ( a couple of minutes ) and the job is done.

By this stage you might have got round to removing the over tightened sump plug and had hot oil run down your arm and into your arm pit.
You drag yourself back out from that danger zone under the car trying to brush off all that dirt sticking to your back and hair.---

Remember that by this time I've locked up my car and gone in to watch the tele.--

You ,however, have almost reached half way on your oil and filter change.-

You also have to add the time taken in the shower to remove the grime that's sticking all over you.
( That under-tray was a real curse trying to hold it up with your knees as you tried to fit the fixing bolts back in.)

I won't go on because you are getting more and more stressed by it all.

PS. I forgot to say but I was due to go out somewhere important after so had been wearing my suit during the oil change.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote