View Single Post
Old 7th November 2020, 15:19   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Nope never changed the ATC control, and yes footwell also blows cold on passenger's side.

And what do you mean that the air blowing colder on the other side is a safety function? How would that help in any way?

And as I've stated, I flushed the heater matrix and when finished, the water came crystal clear outside, also even when flushing it for the first time, the water coming out on the other side wasn't really gunky or dirty, it looked pretty well actually
I looked up the ATC on Rimmers, and there doesnt appear to be a LHD or RHD variant (I am sure we would have read of issues with the SAIC versions if this was an issue).

The matrix could be still be blocked solid, and the water flush is simply passing through it? I had this issue on a car years ago when I used only water to flush. It eventually ran clear, but was still partially blocked, as it did warm up a little more, but not as much as it should have been. It took removal of the matrix, detergent and agitation to clear apparently (a garage did it on behalf of my grandfather - it was his car).

I do not know what the issue is, but blocked matrix is the most common issue for one side being cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
The heater can be controlled thermostatically on both sides individually. The thermostat on the passenger side is not working.------
Never actually considered dual thermostats. There would have to be some form of thermostatic control for the auto function to operate, of course. The drivers side air sampler is obvious, where would the passenger side one be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Quote. CLF. ------but warm only on the left side of the screen, and cool on the right side. This is a safety function to keep the driver alert.

Sounds like a good idea to stop the driver dozing off but would that then not demist the drivers window ??

I must give mine a try to see if it does what you say.--Interesting.--
It is supposed to keep the driver alert. I first read of it on this forum not long after I got the car in 2014, but never had much opportunity to notice it until a few years ago.

In the winter on a long drive it can become uncomfortable (for me) as I normally have short sleeves on all year round (I prefer not to drive with a coat on).

There is a way of bypassing it (without turning the heat up further), by using the bypass and switching off auto mode, I managed to do it a few times, but cannot remember exactly. When I first noticed it, I feared it was matrix related problem, but once I fiddled with the settings, warm air came through. It even does this whilst the ATC is switched off. The ram air effect, if the ATC system is turned off, the air flow appears to come in the form of which mode it was turned off in. Because of that, I imagine this safety function controlled by the flaps somehow.

I assume you mean 'mist' the windscreen, it doesnt, and wont whilst the ATC is operating and the AC is selected (providing the air dryer is functional), although on saying that, it may do on a warmer climate, but then the heat would not be on I am sure. I am not sure though what would happen with the AC off. The problem I have is my journeys are rarely more than 10 miles at a time.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 7th November 2020 at 15:21..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote