View Single Post
Old 12th May 2020, 08:00   #25
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Time to fit the new belt, and I'm finding that it won't sit over the teeth of both cam gears at the same time.
Locking tool went in place before the old belt came off, and hasn't been removed, but it looks as if the cams have shifted very slightly relative to each other? Also feels much too loose on the driven side (towards front of the).
I haven't done this before, but it looks as if I need to removed the locking tool and tweak the cam gear to both tighten the driven side and let the belt sit home properly. Can that be possible??
Any tips gratefully received.
Good to see that you have got all bits properly in place. Just have to mention that the camshaft locking tool fits best in the garbage.... Is easier to route the belt around and manipulate the sprockets with a spanner to get the belt on. The most important thing is that all the marks line up after assembly and after turning the engine several revolutions. If this is OK and the tensioner is correct setup and tightened, you are good to go! I have never used the camshaft locking tool myself, never missed it either. Using the starter to undo the pulley bolt is a known trick. On the 1.8NASP engine you can remove the starter and fit a 1/2" extension bar in a hole in the casting that will fit in a groove on the backside of the flywheel to lock it off for undo/tightening the bolt.
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote