View Single Post
Old 26th July 2018, 19:51   #6
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
Quick question, is a litre per 1000 miles excessive for a KV6?

Thanks

No engine should consume oil and I hope someone from Vauxhall reads this. Your piston rings are designed to prevent this from happening.
The only car designed to burn oil and that is a shade over a litre and a bit over 200 miles. Is Red in colour and takes part in F1 races, their reason for doing this is Petrol has a maximum amount of energy it can produce when combusting, which means that on 110kg of petrol there is a limit to the total amount of energy that fuel can produce. If however you add some oil to the petrol you can achieve a slightly higher mount of energy being produced.
The Red cars did have in 2017 a top off oil tank for this very reason. Though this year the FIA have banned this practice. So you just use a slightly larger sump and over fill the engine before the start of the race.
In road cars this practice is not used if during an oil change you add say 6 litres of oil to fill your engine with oil, you should be taking the same six litres out of the engine some 10,000 miles later.
Hopefully it is just sticky rings. But I would carry out a compression test anyway just to make sure there are no surprises you don’t want to know about.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote