View Single Post
Old 24th November 2021, 08:59   #1
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Question Steering wheel misaligned question

Morning, my 75 has had a weep from the rack for quite some time, the MOT garage would highlight it ever 2 years or so. Had both front lower wishbones replaced along with drop links, fitting the near side lower wishbone knocked the steering out, so ok get alignment checked. Remember getting done a 2-3 years back and was told the rods would need replacing next time, so get new rods and back to garage who were unable to replace them due to ‘not enough threads on the rack’, and it’s got a slight leak. So bit the bullet, got new (reconditioned) rack along with set of inner rods. Rack off, all rods replaced, steering out of course, off to get Hunter 4 wheel done, back near side toe is out but can’t be adjusted for fear of snapping bolts. Set the front up, but steering wheel is well out, get steering wheel straight leaves only about 6 threads on the near side rod, garage wouldn’t leave it like that in case of snapping or bending if a pothole was hit. He seems to think the rack hasn’t been rebuilt correctly when getting refurbished. I can’t face getting the rack all stripped back out, is there any suggestions regarding getting the wheel straight? Can the u/v joint at bottom of steering column simply be disconnected, wheel turned around to straight ahead and re-connected? I don’t believe I can adjust the wheel itself because of the splines? Long question, sorry!
Schotten is offline   Reply With Quote