View Single Post
Old 28th October 2018, 21:45   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Thank you Phil and Andy for your really helpful suggestions. I love driving and dogs so both of those activities would be just up my street. I had not thought of either of those options, so thank you.

I had spent a few months before retirement thinking about the options and had decided that volunteering in the education, homeless or health (local hospital) area would be my focus during the first 12-18 months. I feel that the homeless and the young are having a very hard time and there are unreasonable pressures on our education professionals, so if there was anything I could do to make a even tiny difference to a few it would be worthwhile.

I had sent my CV to a local sixth form/technical college and am seeing their head of science & engineering department in a week's time to discuss how I may be able to support the teaching professionals with their non-teaching activities. For the other half of the equation, we have a number of local organizations, including a food bank, that need volunteers so I will be getting involved in one of those.

I am going to look into your suggestions for the time beyond this initial 12 months.

Ian - I think I have mentioned before that son is studying aeronautics & aerospace engineering at Southampton uni. When I visited the uni during his selection visits, I spent nearly an hour talking to a technician who looks after the model aircraft lab. His job is to build/prepare model aircraft for use by students in their experiments. If I lived in or near Southampton, guess where I would be volunteering to help? What a job!
if your son find himself needing dads help i'm local so may be able to help out, so pm if you ever need to. build/prepare model aircraft, lucky so and so

saw a program on the Airbus 380 recently, really interesting

macafee2

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote