View Single Post
Old 18th January 2021, 22:23   #35
buchanan
Buchanan

Rover 75 connoisseur se ctdi Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphStag View Post
Hi all,

Need some help with my 75 CDTi 2.0 manual please. It is a 54 plate facelift model.

The symptoms are that it takes a lot more cranking to start than I would expect. When starting, it will take 7-15 second of cranking before it fires up. Generally closer to 7 seconds if I have my foot all the way down to the floor whilst cranking.
Sometimes it will try to fire after a couple of seconds, fail to do so and then continue cranking.

The car will then idle fine for a period of time, but will suddenly cut out with no warning. There is no pattern to the length of time this will take.

Whilst driving, the car has plenty of power and is smooth. Occasionally it will "hiccup" for a second and then carry on.
If travelling slowly in a high gear, (so, say under 1500rpm) it will cut out and take up to 15 seconds of cranking to start again.
There is no noticeable smoke when running or accelerating.

This happens whether it the car is hot or cold.
Leaving the ignition on for 30 seconds before cranking makes no difference.
The battery is good and it cranks strongly.
The plenums are bone dry. No evidence of the ECU having a bath.

The camshaft and crank position sensors have been replaced with new ones. I have removed and cleaned both the EGR valve and inlet manifold - neither were particularly caked up. I tested that the EGR was working with a vac pump and it opens fine with a vacuum applied.

I have changed the PCV filter, as well as the air filter and oil and oil filter (not that I expected that to do anything).

I did an injector leakoff test. After 2 mins of cold running, I had the following:
Cylinder 1 - 12ml
Cylinder 2 - 13ml
Cylinder 3 - 8ml
Cylinder 4 - 13ml
(this included draining what was in the tubes into the catch bottles)

From what I have read, anything under 20ml for 2mins of running is good? Bit concerned why cylinder 3 is a lot lower than the others?

What next? I have run out of ideas? All help and advice appreciated.
Glow Plugs
buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote