View Single Post
Old 9th October 2017, 23:37   #3
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Question

Thanks for the reply.

the bumper seems worse than in your original pictures. seems to be some paint missing..

I don't mind spending on it, just hopefully not in one lump sum right after buying it. Also, its a bit daunting with any new type of car i've never owned before. I've never even driven one so for all i know i might hate it. But hopefully I'll love it. (as long as its more fun to drive than a Mondeo, it should be okay)

The guy also tells me it sometimes grinds to get to into first? but says its probably just the syncro?? is that bad or cheap/easily fixed? Should I be worried?

Re the mirrors, where could I get some bolts to re attach it? Are they of a standard design? as in, could I maybe have a look for the right size bolts in my shed somewhere perhaps? or pop into screw fix? lol

Thinking i might buy a replacement mirror glass and take some suitable bolts with me and stick them back on when I get there. Might make the 4 hour drive home less precarious maybe?

PS, your original sale states 160 bhp remap, but guy says its making 180 bhp.. is that genuinely possible? and is it likely to cook the clutch? or is it a porkie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Thought I'd reply in public instead.

It's my old car, as per here - https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=255059 - new ad linked at the bottom from the new owner.

Mirrors are cheap - you can get a set of basic skullcaps like it has for less than £50. Quite easy to fit, just need the door cards removed.

Tyres could be needed on any car, but bear in mind that the correct 225/45/18 tyres aren't cheap - quality ones (my preference was Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's) are just over £100 a corner.

If the scrape on the bumper was the one that was there when I had it - it's not that bad at all (you can see it much better in the pics in my for sale thread). Especially not now it's a £650, 200k car!

I think it has the earlier "sports suspension" fitted (but you'd need to check!) - the dampers are OE only and £90 a corner. And when I had the top mounts changed in 2013 the springs were looking a bit corroded so you'd probably want to do those at the same time. Shock replacement has a book time of 2 hours - so £100 labour at an independant. But any 200k car is going to have worn out dampers - at least once they are replaced it'll drive like new.

Alternatively you could put budget tyres and the cheapest dampers available on eBay, depends how you like to maintain cars.

Do I think it's worth the asking price? Definitely, yes.
I'm assuming that your not put off by the mileage, but you won't find another with the service history and maintenance it's had. Nor are you like to find another with 170HP.

It's a hell of a lot of car for £650.
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote