View Single Post
Old 10th October 2017, 22:56   #9
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
The engine is likely to be fine, but the rest of the car is going to be tired (example, the front shocks). It’s done 200k. You are going to need to spend money. That’s why it’s £650 and not £23k like when it was new.

Alternatively I replaced so many pets that there’s only 2 or 3 bits to do and then it’s fine for 200k... who knows.
Going back to the gear box grind for a moment... He says it only does it when dropping down into first.

any ideas?

I've been trying to google possible causes, and some owners seem to have had really bad difficulty selecting gears , so i'm worried it could perhaps get worse?

one owner finally discovered it was the slave cylinder..

another said they had loose and bent linkages..

and another ended up needing a new clutch.

I don't know what to think at this point, as i'm a little worried seeing as one of the selling points for me was the clutch already not long having been done.

But now i'm concerned, what if i might end up needing to get it done again?

Gear changes got so bad for one guy, he was stuck on side of the road holding up traffic and had to start car in 2nd just to get it moving again.

As good and as well looked after as this car is, i'm just worried now that it could potentially be needing some major money spending on it before i've even bought it.

OR it could be something quite simple.

Could the 208k miles and 180bhp just been too much for the gear box to cope with and its now on its way out?

It certainly seems a lovely car though.. & perhaps i'm worrying about nothing?
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote