View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2019, 08:18   #16
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Fortunately cable tie had sold me two complete struts; springs, dampers, hubs including calipers and brakes. I was initially intending to just swap the lot over, but decided to keep my hub as the brake disc shields were in better condition.

Because I couldn't get my N/S hub off the wishbone i left it on and split the damper from the hub and changed the spring. I also used the donor parts from the top of the damper as my bearing especially was in a bad way, and built a good strut out of the two.

I was going to do the same on the O/S but the upper pinch bolt sheared! #

After much plusgas, hammering and levering I finally got the wishbone out, it's a pity my new ball joint splitter didn't fit as it worked a treat on the track rod ends

Once the strut was off, I cut the bolt either side of the pinch plate and hammered it out. I thought about drilling it, but quickly decided i didn't have time to messing with that and rebuilt the strut using the donor hub. I cleaned the shield and gave it a couple coats of paint. Will put my brakes back on the new hub.

I just about got the spring back on last night when the light went. Will try later to fit the strut weather permitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-04-01 18.06.45.jpg (132.6 KB, 30 views)
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote