View Single Post
Old 20th January 2021, 12:04   #5
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
Hi folks,

Having an intermittent issue with our V6. Once the engine is warm, coming to a junction etc when the engine is at idle the revs can vary from around 850rpm to 300 or there abouts, continually going up and down until it cuts out or the throttle is used.

The thermostat had recently been changed but found its opening at around 82°c (not sure if this is likely to cause the issue).
Both breather hoses were replaced as both broke ( the usual one that brakes near the alternator and the other one that is seated next to it when connected to the cam cover).

Can't hear any vacuum type noises from under the bonnet and drives fine otherwise. I've had a read around and believe it maybe down to the throttle position sensor?..

Any advice is welcome
Thanks

Rob
I shall watch this thread with great interest. When my V6 2.5 is hot, she idles around 900-1000. If I drop her out of gear and coast down a hill, the idle speed often initially 'hunts between 1200 and 1900 revs. Just failed her MOT( rear indicators wrong colour and front anti-roll bar bushes )........yet nothing about emissions which I was expecting. Currently the fuel consumption is slightly higher than the V8 so I'm glad not to be a road warrior nowadays. I can't hear any vacuum issues either and the hoses all look very good. Nevertheless, contemplating trying a smoke test when I get the chance. Engine has 140k on the odometer. It seems to pull well with no hesitation on acceleration and has never cut out on me.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote