if there is room I use this
https://www.tradecounterdirect.com/p...ier_-10in.html

macafee2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Cheaper to get a pair of these though Ian

LINK

Brian
I looked at both of those types first and was about to buy a 3-leg tool from Amazon when I stumbled across the 15 flute cup.

It's actually possible to get the filter off by hand but it's bit of a faff. Give it a friendly sideways tap with a club hammer (on the corner), then push hard upwards with the palm of one hand and turn with the fingers. At the same time feed the other hand through the wheel arch liner to get more fingers on it. Keep doing this in bursts and it just starts to turn a fraction of a millimetre at a time. The fractions become larger after a while and eventually it'll come off. By this time you're knackered and you've got a dislocated arm (the wheel arch one) - so I bought the 15 flute cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Pah, all you posh folk out there!

I very nearly for the first time resorted to this with my mother's car. A Clio. The oil filter is more or less the same distance from the subframe as the thickness of my chain wrench! My nylon strap wrench just slips on it! What was left of my knuckles said 'get the hammer!'

(jack the engine up slightly worked instead lol)
I've used the hammer & screwdriver method before. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just rips gashes in the casing without turning the filter (then you've got tetanus plus engine oil up your sleeve ).
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote