View Single Post
Old 4th January 2021, 08:15   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
... I doubt any manufacturer designs a fuel gauge system so as to prevent the gauge from reading, just because the ignition is on ?
The system we have in the 75/ZT is more complex than the basic series circuit of rheostat, gauge and bimetallic voltage stabiliser in use for decades until IT came along. I've observed my gauge reading rising slightly (turning off the low fuel warning light) as I begin a journey after a cold start. This suggests that the IPK processing includes calculated instantaneous fuel consumption (using the road speed signal) when driving the gauge. It's effectively showing us the range; data which is also made available to the trip computer.

I agree with you Paul that it wasn't a deliberate decision by the instrument designers to require the ignition to be off when refuelling, more a consequence of the increasing complexity of electronic systems to provide us with additional facilities.

Incidentally, you and Number 6 and gozo ken have all reported abnormally large variations in gauge readings and you all have diesels. Is that a coincidence?

Simon