View Single Post
Old 11th September 2018, 12:29   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hog View Post
Not heard many "ratchet" noises, but consider perhaps one of these which might be described thus by someone without access to the specific terminology as used on this august organ:

Fuel purge valve: Correct description "ticka-tacka-ticka-tacka" (foreign market spec vehicles and Cowley-built cars sometimes have this referred to as "irritating random clicking").

Intake manifold upper chamber: Correct description " a bag of nails". Addition of certain interchangeable parts from the E46 BMW allow it to also be described in service literature as "clattery-whirry-rattly type of noise".

VIS motor butterfly: Factory literature almost always refers to this as "annoying rev-related ticking". This was originally "clicking" but was changed when production switched to Longbridge in order to avoid confusion with the fuel purge valve which is only a couple of feet away.

Anything which may involve the use of the word "squeak" please look under either "Suspension - Section 2 "Bumpety Thumpety Squeaks" or "Fascia - Section 9 "A good old splurge of silicone will do the trick".

That gave me a laugh to read it. At the root though is a truth - one mans 'loud ratchet' might be a (rapid) tick or a click to another pair of ears. We'll wait and see - I'll be immensely relieved if it does turn out to be the purge valve and the car just needs an Italian tune-up!

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote