View Single Post
Old 8th June 2016, 18:48   #8
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Apologies Pete, I forgot to put in my post in the other thread - to get the hub off the strut you've got to separate the hub from the lower ball joint.

Put a Jack under the brake disc and take up a bit of the slack, then put length of chain around the lower suspension arm once you've undone the pinch bolt, then you can pass a long bar underneath, put a bolt through the chain to hold the bar and use the underside of the car to brace the rear of the bar while you push the front of the bar down. There are quite a few meaty bits of suspension you can use down there!

One the hub is free you can leave it on the car, just resting on the lower arm. There is then enough play to get the strut out.

Unclip the three hoses/wires from the tabs on the strut before you do any of that...

Enjoy!
Thanks Simon

As indicated in my first post here, I have already split the hub from the lower ball joint on the wishbone/lower arm by removing the lower pinch bolt and using a chain/bar to pull the lower joint out of the hub. So, I think room is not the main problem, it just the means of persuading the hub to move further down the strut so it will separate.
Any suggestions will be most welcome. !

Cheers

Pete

Last edited by EastPete; 8th June 2016 at 18:49.. Reason: typo
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote