View Single Post
Old 25th March 2018, 22:48   #23
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Default Developments - rain sensor and autodim mirror

Dear All,

I see there have been many discussions on this subject.

I said I would add a post if there were any merit in doing so and it is as usual, both an observation or two and a question or two, the answers to which, might aid others.

I used the helpful posts of the rover 75 brethren to get to stage one and changed my non- autodim mirror for the autodim off the old car. Simple, apart from the force needed to remove the old mirror.

If I was worried about the screen, I would have chickened out!

Then, to remove the old rain sensor. I noted that a "cheesewire" was quoted as being the tool of choice to saw through the pad attaching the sensor assembly.

Lacking a cheesewire (and the the manual dexterity to assure I did not damage the plastic window of the sensor) I used 0.3mm diameter nylon fishing line.

It snagged and broke as I sawed away. I then lubricated the line with a silicone oil (I expect fairy liquid would work, stopping the adhesive gel sticking to the line) this worked fine.

I looked for rover 75 sensor adhesive pads to stick it on my screen, but this search was not conclusive.

The good news is, the item appears to be a BMW E series standard item, often referred to as a "purple" sensor, with an adhesive pad of 55x33mm.

Fine and dandy, but then how to clean the old adhesive off the sensor?

So far, no answer to that, but if anyone has any suggestions, when I get back from working away (last three weeks, hence the slow progress) I would be grateful.

Best wishes, Frank B
frankgoldstar is offline   Reply With Quote