View Single Post
Old 20th October 2018, 10:22   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
It has a tripod mount, the base of the mount has 2 screw holes and with it being a heavy lens I thought perhaps there was a more robust fixing between the lens and the tripod.
Ken.
the tripod mount will be positioned where the centre of gravity is with a camera mounted (try it by holding the camera and lens in the palm of your hand).

The two holes, if threaded, are there to allow for a light/heavy camera whilst maintaining its C.O.G. Select the one that makes the camera/lens/tripod feel balanced when fitted. Some secondary holes are unthreaded, these are for a locating pin that will be on the plate, which helps to keep the camera/lens on a plane to maintain its mounting security (the second threaded hole will also perform this function when not used).

The lens mount though will be more than adequate for both the camera and lens. If it is the type I am thinking of, it is a very clever design, to allow for quick release, and I believe made from a lightweight alloy. The alloy ring will be brittle if dropped on its own, though, but will be fine on the lens.

The lens is not really that heavy, though, but if your tripod feels unstable with it on, you may need to upgrade your tripod or splay its legs a little in the meantime.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote