View Single Post
Old 26th May 2021, 07:10   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Simon,

I've literally just finished this job, all on my own!

First of all, what exactly is wrong with the lower suspension arm? For example, a split balljoint boot?

I, along with others, had terrible trouble releasing the outer balljoint nut and bolt on both sides. A blowlamp, club hammer and percussion were required in sequence, for a very long time! You may be one of the lucky ones, but be prepared for grief (and a bigger bill if you're paying).

The best way to release the 150Nm rear bush housing bolts is to remove the anti-roll bar saddle clamp and the bar can then be moved forwards (with it disconnected from the link). You can then use a hexagon impact socket on the bolts which is much better than messing about with ring spanners linked together.

Your three legged puller should be ideal for the inner balljoint provided that the legs are articulated. I used a Sykes Pickavant for this task and it was excellent.

You already sound very well informed on this so I hope you'll forget about the garage and mobile mechanic. If I can be of further help, let me know.

Simon