View Single Post
Old 10th August 2015, 10:34   #28
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Mike
The 5mm of compensation was for the front cable, once this was used reached then the set up would need adjusting at the rear, the R53 system does not stretch therefore the ( 10mm ) adjustment on the front cable remains intact.

On the old OEM there was only 5mm as stated above with the R53 there is more equalising at the rear cables as you can see from the photo below.

The OEM chocolate mild steel one would only allow for a little equalisation then it would because of how it was made up start bending the bar off centre.

With the SSC and the R53 this could not happen as you can see in the photo's below, there is a little drawing graph of how the OEM one could equalise of centre before putting pressure on the top bar which also opened up so not really up to the job in my opinion.

The R53 is the solution I think Rover should have used, and certainly another alternative for members.

OEM & SSC

With the R53 included

Arctic
Steve,

I completely agree with you on this. if you have received my old "self modified" compensator back after i swapped to the R53 you will notice what i did wrong with it by using a slightly too long shackle. It allowed the shackle to pop out from the guide prongs when i was fitting new backplates and pulled up hard to pull the cable in to the plate. At the time i didnt know that this had happened, and just adjusted the hubs as normal and all was fine. The problem i had was there was absolutely no articulation in this state because the compensator was jammed off centre, so as soon as the shoes on the trailing wheel wore down a bit, the brake in that wheel stopped holding, and i was constantly re-adjusting.

When i just fitted the r53 last week i checked its position. I had not adjusted the hubs at this point because next week will be fitting new disks so plan to do it then.

You can imagine therefore that in this state, one wheel needs more movement of the cable than the other, but the point is in reference to your photos, the angle of the compensator was less than what the r53 can manage, but more than the stainless one could manage, hence I now have a great handbrake, even with badly adjusted hubs.

The R53 is simply more tolerant of adjustment and wear than the oem was, and as a genuine manufacturer part, you just feel better with it in there. It is puzzling why, when rover must have had this design in view, they opted for the chocolate one.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote