View Single Post
Old 9th July 2020, 11:49   #26
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
It's certainly not the royal "we", I fitted one to my dad's car six years ago and no problems, and that was an LUK FL slave, as was the the one fitted to my old ZT, and the one I fitted to a friend's V6 Tourer, what does that tell you

I really don't understand why people struggle to get this job right, it just takes a little care.

I wouldn't drive any 75 automatic variant asI simply don't like automatics, however the manual car treated with respect is fine.

Brian
I cannot comment on the quality of the labour and procedures done on my mates Land Rover but I can on my ZT-T. The clutch was fitted by Trikey and as you know he does the job properly, so component failure and quality has to be a big consideration in this. It seems to me that like the quality of parts supplied for classic cars is now very poor from many respected suppliers, with owners complaining all the time. Now the same is happening with more modern parts. Modern rubbers are failing in seals, lines, pumps etc. with one manufacturer saying fuel lines only have to last the length of the guarantee. With no vehicle manufacturer to give a guarantee life any more whats the incentive to manufacture a quality part to last.

I had a conversation with a well respected tyre manufacturer who had to compensate me for 4 new Avons failing on my Volvo. They told me it was an issue caused by the compounds that were now less reliable due to EU regulations. They relied on the tyres wearing out before they break down, which in most cases happens, but many do not make the 6 year warranted life due to these issues.

I suspect this reduced quality in rubber materials could have a lot of to do with the failures and the QA in the manufacturing. I have seen ball joint seals for classics fail in less than a year. Last week I was going through some spare parts and found two unused track control ends with the rubber perished still in the boxes. Classic clutch seals failing in 6 months is a common issue in the classic world with very miffed owners desperately seeking information on who can supply quality.

I just see a pattern in the parts supply industry for parts for old cars
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote