View Single Post
Old 13th November 2019, 23:26   #94
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Brian, I have no doubt that there are incompetent road engineers mis-applying technology in their re-design of Newcastle's road layout, but I suggest their primary motive is traffic management and congestion, and perhaps their green (pollution) concerns are the natural by-product of having to solve the primary problem of increased numbers of private and public transport vehicles, as well as commercial vehicles, standing in traffic jams for longer and longer periods. Yes, they may even be trying to make public transport more speedy by giving it priority over us car drivers - and they make no bones about it in the city centre. But ultimately, they are trying to improve the lives of all Geordies, by ensuring they can get to their destination efficiently. There simply isn't enough road space at rush hour in our cities if we all insist on driving solo in our cars. Back in the days of the yellow trolley buses, there was far less traffic on Newcastle's streets, but it was still fairly chaotic! It seems like a paradox to accuse our councillors of populism in one breath, and then accuse them of upsetting and annoying their population in another!
Andrew, everything, and I mean everything that has been carried out in the past five years, in a misguided attempt to "improve the environment" as their current signs proclaim on the section of roadworks which has taken from May until the present to not be completed, has been to the detriment of actual traffic flow.

They are anti motorist, they are creating congestion, this is because they have a vested interest in creating congestion in order that they can then "congestion charge" in order to keep in line with the nonsensical air quality guidelines set out in EU clean air legislation.

The sad fact of the matter is this, unless there is a multilateral approach to tackle climate change, nothing and I mean nothing we do as a nation will counteract the likes of the Chinese and their rampant use of coal fired power stations for instance.

The politicos may argue we should set an example, how naive do these clowns think the general public are, and the brainwashing the media slants on climate change is excruciatingly patronising.

I was cold called by a company offering a warranty on my washing machine last week, I told him I didn't want one, why? because I bought my washing machine when my eldest daughter was two years old.......she is 21 by the way.

Why do I insist on driving an old clapped out banger, when I can afford to buy a Tesla without credit, finance, or loan? because the main damage to the environment is caused in the energy used producing, low quality junk which is used then thrown away.

I recycle properly, and by which I don't mean washing out yoghurt pots for the local authority to send thousands of miles overseas to developing countries to "recycle" into their watercourses

As a conclusion to the question raised in the title of this thread, no vehicle, EV or internal combustion are the answer in the future, but I will say this I will as long as there is life in my body, enjoy driving my old bangers until the fuel required to propel them runs out, and be damned

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote