View Single Post
Old 1st May 2021, 17:57   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
There is no mains gas so simply changing the boiler and linking in to the existing heating isn't possible.

There is bottled gas - if you fancy a second mortgage to buy it and can get all the relevant permissions for storage etc.
We're on bottled gas, no mains supply. When I first moved here with my folks it was a coal fire with boiler behind it, dirty, expensive and a high wind in the right direction would create a draft up the chimney and actually boil the water at night, sounded like somebody hitting a bass drum in the lounge Many a time had to get up during the night to run some hot water and cool everything down.

Maybe 30 years ago my parents made enquiries about mains gas, would cost tens of thousands to get a line in from the main to the cottages. Three of the four cottages were up for it, the owner of the fourth wasn't. Nobody wanted to shell out that kind of money for the remaining cottage to tie in at a later date for a fraction of the cost. The current owner of the remaining cottage has recently gone to gas, has a storage tank in the garden, wasn't an option here, nowhere on the property was far enough from the house. Before gas he was persuaded to install some all singing all dancing electric system . . . . it added £400+ a MONTH to his electric bill and kept blowing up meters! Running the heating on bottled gas isn't cheap during the winter but you make up for it during the summer where its only needed for hot water.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote