Thread: The end..
View Single Post
Old 17th January 2022, 16:07   #8
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default MG/Rover Ownership for 45 Years

Some would call me glutton for punishment but I love my cars and love fixing them when they break!
I have had at least one MG or Rover for exactly 45 years this week! At 17 I acquired a very rusty MGB and have been fixing and restoring them ever since. Learning how to spray cars and repairing the old fashioned way, by reading books, I've even won prizes for paint jobs! An MGB was our honeymoon car and I was still taking off the masking tape from its paint job on the morning of our wedding! Apart from MGBs, I have restored a MGC GT that was left rot away in damp garage for 25 years. I bought it for the alloy bonnet and ended up working on it everyday for four years! My neighbours thought I was mad until I rolled my 'as new' sandy beige C GT out of the garage finished! The sheer joy of finding that elusive part or fixing an issue is all part of the challenge and fun. MGRover ownership is never boring and the fantastic like-minded and kind people really make it worthwhile. My wife banned me from restoring another one! So now I wake up very early and work on my cars when the family are all asleep!!!
I eventually acquired an MGRV8. When I saw the very expensive UK demonstrator on a forecourt in Darlington, I cried and I thought I would never own one as we had twins on the way and a massive mortgage. As usual, persistence paid off and I now own one! In between all this I restored an almond green Morris Traveller including new ash frames and doors. The first time I drove it was onto the ferry in St Helier and then all the way to Rochdale! I stopped the petrol leak on the ferry (they were going to push me off at Mary Port as I was fire hazard!) and after I tightened all 16 wheel nuts the journey was uneventful!
My three sons all drive MGZRs which I keep on the road and have become an expert as fixing blown head gaskets and cars which lock the owners out of them! My wife drive a 135 TF which looks new, but wasn't when we bought it. My aim is to keep as many MGRovers on the road for as long as possible. All our family MGRovers have MOTs with no advisories which is something I really pride myself on. This takes some doing!
I don't smoke, drink or gamble and spend my money and time on the things that give me pleasure.
My latest and, probably last, MGRover acquisition just over 3 years ago is an Trophy Blue MGZT V6. I bought the car from the owners in Blackpool and, before I bought the car, I was 'interrogated' by the owner's wife and family to see if I was the right person to take on the car. After three hours it was decided I was the rightful new owner and the keys were handed over! The previous owner had several heart attacks and his driving licence revoked. He was really sad and upset to see his car go but I have tried to look after it! A lovely car and, as usual, I cannot help tinkering by adding things like cruise control, all the PD deletions and making the car look and drive as good as possible. I travel all over the country collecting parts and have one of the last new old stock rear bumpers in my garage which needs fixing on the car with parking sensors!
Old habits die hard and I will keep fixing them and driving them for as long as I can!
The talented and kind people that have helped me over the years cannot be thanked enough.
best wishes
Bob
Bob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote