View Single Post
Old 27th October 2019, 15:12   #10
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbeast75 View Post
update: It's most likely the starter motor contacts. I have ordered the repair kit

I checked the battery voltage just to be sure and it is also slowly on its way out, I think. However, I am very certain this isn't something new for my battery.

The voltage before starting the car is only 8.9v, when it starts it drops down to 6v and then it goes back up to 12 - 12.6v. So the alternator is doing its job, however I think i'll need a new battery when winter returns. However I am still certain that the problem here is the starter motor because when I turn the key there's a flew clicks and then the car starts & drives fine.
A low voltage such as this, would normally mean the battery is in fact dead and would not start the diesel engine, not in a month of Sundays, not ever, the fact that your car starts, and the voltage fluctuates up and down means the battery terminals are not making good contact and you are not reading the correct voltages.
Disconnect and clean with a fine wire brush charge the battery fully, reconnect and cover posts with thin layer of petroleum jelly. See what happens now.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote