View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:47   #9
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post
A tapping/knocking sound that disappears after a couple of minutes.

Sounds like its coming from the top of the engine I think.
I have a similar issue which has so far evaded diagnosis. Taps when the engine is stone cold, but disappears after 2 minutes max (sometimes less). Engine then sounds sweet as a nut.

A number of folk who know these engines inside out say it's not tappets and sounds more like mains (), however they are puzzled by the way the sound disappears so completely.

I had a full belt change (including idlers & tensioners) to rule that out and also had the sump dropped and a new oil pickup pipe (with "o"ring) fitted, all with no improvement. Oil pressure (both cold and hot) is spot on. I also sent oil samples off for analysis and they came back with a clean bill of health, showing no signs of engine wear at all. All very odd.

Needless to say, I'll be interested to hear if you find a resolution to your noise.

Cliff

Edit:

I meant to add, the oil pickup pipe was considered due to a bulletin issued by MG Rover which read as follows:

"TB0037 Issue 2
ENGINE
Title:
TAPPET NOISE – AIR LEAK AT OIL PICK-UP ‘O’ RING
Affected range:
All vehicle with KV6 engines up to the following engine numbers:
20K摯瑬敳獩 ∗∗∗∗168295 - 2.0 engine
25K摯瑬敳獩 ∗∗∗∗168506 - 2.5 engine
Description:
Tappet noise on cold start or when engine idling.
This condition is due to air entering the tappet oil chambers. The source of air entry is likely to be at the ‘O’
ring seal situated between the oil pick-up strainer to bearing carrier connection.
This condition has been rectified from the engine change point quoted."

(Thanks to RogerHeinz57 for the bulletin info)

No. 4 of 6

Last edited by Teflon; 3rd November 2019 at 10:59..
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote