Old 27th October 2017, 19:53   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
That's because there aren't any.
The lighting is managed completely by the electronics in the LSM. Maybe that's actually why the HIDs are affecting the engine? Maybe the LSM is compromised by the HIDs and it complains to the ECU?
I'm just guessing, but knowing how delicate these cars are electrically, maybe it needs a discussion. RickSta will know.

TC
That's why I was going to change it to a relay harness, I guess the LSM will need to see some load to prevent bulb failure warnings, but how much? I do have trouble believing it would have to as much as the normal bulb would load it. I faintly recall someone on the forum testing various sized loads to find what was the smallest current that it must draw to prevent a failure warning. But I can't remember who it was, or what value would be required. Maybe I should test it myself and see?

Funny thing is that there's no sign of a problem unless the engine is running already. With the engine off there's no obvious battery drain or dimming lights when the h/lamps are switched from sidelights.

When I get some time I'll do some experiments (might be next year then!), until then I'll have to stick with the halogens throughout the winter .

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote