View Single Post
Old 13th November 2019, 21:49   #89
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
When were sleeping policemen, bus lanes and street furniture anything to do with Green politics? Seems like people on here wish to blame the green lobby for all the problems of the world. Strange, when they have always been a minority pressure group, with very little representation in our parliament, admittedly more prominent in some European countries. I find much of the commentary on here boorish, lacking in real thought, just attacking sincerely held, and well-researched and considered beliefs - to call it a "populist bandwagon", Brian, is unworthy of you, and the sort of tabloid sound-bite labelling reminiscent of Orwell's "Two legs good, four legs bad",as well as Trump's chanting mobs. We all have a vested interest in saving our planet - to pay no heed to how badly we are polluting it is reckless. Or perhaps you are all old enough to think you don't need to give a damn, you won't be around in 30 years. Look around you, it's happening now! And I am not making a penny out of this. As said before, in the not too distant future, I will be making the sad decision to give up the CDT, which despite it's oh-so bad (because it's that naughty-word "European" so better add that word to the banned list, Eds)engine, in favour of a hybrid. I love driving the Rover, I love the way it looks, but I recognise that all of us will have to make sacrifices if we are not going to spend our lives baling out our homes, - Carlisle, York, Whaley Bridge, Sheffield, Doncaster,, and now Venice again, to name but a few. And then we have heatwaves causing huge forest and moorland or scrub fires. We will soon be using all our energy to rebuild our world to cope with its increasingly violent weather incidents. Yes, this is a car forum, and I didn't start this topic, but somone needs to put some balance in among all the paranoid conspiracy-theory tub-thumping. I could go on, but I'm hoping I have said enough.
Andrew, Newcastle City Council is hell bent on " green traffic improvement" schemes, reams of badly thought out remodelling of junctions, and unnecessary narrowing of carriageways, and excessive street furniture and signage, cycle lanes which happen to be ignored by most cyclists.

I have observed this "progress" first hand, watched how traffic is affected by the congestion caused by traffic light on roundabouts, bus lanes effective from 7.00 to 19.00 where in off peak periods, you find three double decker busses coming along every ten minute with a handful of passengers being carried.

Speed cushions, that wreck suspension components, cause particulate commission in the form of friction material dust, and rubber dust from tyre, irrespective of the propulsion format of the vehicle.

Make no bones, Newcastle City Council have made it abundantly clear that their desire is to make it as difficult as possible for the private motorist to navigate not only the city centre, but the surrounding suburbs with their crackpot populist schemes.

I hope to be around in 30 years, but I would like to think my children will be also, and I'm not as selfish as you seem to be implying.

I'm an engineer, I also have an analytical mind, and I have eyes and ears, and can actually see first hand what is being carried out to the detriment of my local environment, by people with vested interests........vested interests I hear you say? surely not? T.Dan Smith....remember him

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote