Thread: Electric cars
View Single Post
Old 24th June 2022, 11:08   #183
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge.g View Post
We have already seen wind farms generating their own weather (with showers developing over the farms but not elsewhere) so who knows what the larger scale impact would be, as said above, as these farms will only grow in size.
The amount of energy wind turbines 'remove' from the atmosphere is miniscule compared to the energy potential in the atmosphere. Far less likely to affect the climate then pumping tonnes of CO2 and other gasses into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
As with asbestos, the perfect building material; plastics that take centuries to break down; lead as an anti-knock additive; thalidomide, a great solution to morning sickness; myxomatosis to control the rabbit population. History is littered with these good ideas which actually destroy our environment.

With electric cars there is still the unsolved problem of where most of the rare metals are mined and the attendant ecological damage, compounded by the problem of end of life waste. We have the hazard of the inherent instability of the batteries and due to the weight of the cars, increased damaging particles from tyres.

It is plain that sometimes the solutions are a worse remedy than envisaged.
"inherent instability of the batteries" as opposed to the total stability of petrol?

As for tyre wear this has been shown to be almost negligible and in our case the front tyres on our MG did 25,000 miles and still had 3mm left which given my style of driving and the rural roads round here is really good and much better then my Mercedes diesel which 'ate' a set of rears every 7-10k You also have to bear in mind that the brakes on an EV generate almost no particulates compared to an ICE car as they're hardly used.