Thread: Electric cars
View Single Post
Old 24th June 2022, 18:18   #184
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
The amount of energy wind turbines 'remove' from the atmosphere is miniscule compared to the energy potential in the atmosphere. Far less likely to affect the climate then pumping tonnes of CO2 and other gasses into it!

"inherent instability of the batteries" as opposed to the total stability of petrol?

As for tyre wear this has been shown to be almost negligible and in our case the front tyres on our MG did 25,000 miles and still had 3mm left which given my style of driving and the rural roads round here is really good and much better then my Mercedes diesel which 'ate' a set of rears every 7-10k You also have to bear in mind that the brakes on an EV generate almost no particulates compared to an ICE car as they're hardly used.
I don't know of any spontaneous combustion of diesel or petrol, whereas I have heard of many instances of car and bus batteries spontaneously igniting and exploding. It is also the case that the batteries are difficult and dangerous to recycle, hence the high proportion that end up in landfill.

I am rather puzzled by your anecdotal tyre evidence which goes against research? Furthermore, why compare rear tyres on a Mercedes and front tyres on your EV? Such misuse of DATA is not helpful. The DATA used should really be obtained from various model options of the same marque. For example, the Renault Megane. You will also find that most larger vehicles also use very little "conventional" braking and have done for many decades, instead using electric or hydraulic retarders and exhaust brakes.

You don't address the ecological effects of producing and disposing of batteries or the high replacement costs and you don't address the proven depreciation downsides of EVs. I do recognise however that all cars, whether ICE, Hybrid or EV 2nd hand prices are artificially artificially high at the moment, the effect of which is likely to result in values crashing when the situation normalises.

The other problem is the hazards caused by "all eggs in one basket". The vital rare metals necessary for the batteries are mainly mined in very few places, Chile, Argentina and Bolivia for example. None of these are politically stable and I think Russia has proved that such a situation is at best unwise and probably foolhardy.

We don't yet have perfect alternatives but I think it incumbent upon buyers to research beyond the advertising and special interest hype.

Last edited by polinsteve; 24th June 2022 at 18:20..
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote