View Single Post
Old 25th May 2019, 15:57   #92
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Maybe, maybe not. As some will of made the link Brian is referring to me. We needed a car that was big enough to carry my daughters wheelchair but not too big that it was a huge car that she wouldn’t drive as a new driver. The MG ticked every box other than a local dealer. We ordered through a dealer that was close to a location where we have weekends away so that we could incorporate servicing and repairs whilst we are away. Unfortunately after a 3 month wait this dealer couldn’t supply a car or give a date due to a huge increase in demand so we looked elsewhere. We also knew at the time that MG were looking at options locally. Looking at other options Longbridge had 3 in stock in the spec we wanted so it was purchased there. The car developed an issue and looking online the cam shaft sensor and a software upgrade seemed to fit our fault. I emailed two dealers asking that if I travelled to them did they carry the parts so that if after diagnosis they were required I wouldn’t need a return trip and got no reply, I emailed the sales center and got a reply the same day. I booked the car in and went to Longbridge. It turned out the cam sensor was for the manual only but the car had 3 updates and was 95% better. The fault has returned and it is annoying that my wife has to drive a car daily with a hesitation and she does prefer the old 75 due to this. I’m now looking at a closer dealer as one locally didn’t appear and I don’t feel It fair that I go back to the original cancelled order dealer which is 3 hours away. How the next dealer and MG handle this will determine if the car stays with us. Was it a bad decision and do I need my sanity questioned? Absolutely not, the MG was perfect in every way for our needs and had a local dealer been appointed life would of been easier, we are in a huge county so a new dealer could happen at any time. My daughter had an amazing day at Longbridge and a car hand over that will never be topped, this included an insight into the plant that money can’t buy. We supported what’s left of Longbridge and the people that work there for what is a very good car and don’t regret that in the slightest. Would I recommend a new MG? Absolutely 100% as long as you have a good dealer locally.
Hopefully Longbridge can be saved along with the remaining jobs there.
It looks like Longbridge will close, sad sad day indeed. With regards to our ZS I contacted the three nearest dealers all of which are around 3 hours away in the about our warranty issues. One said we were too far away and should look for somebody closer to home, the other said that they would look at the car over 2 days but a courtesy car is not available and the third said they were far too busy and suggested I contacted the other two previously. My gut feeling is that although any manufacturer warranty is nationwide some dealers don’t want to know unless you bought from them. With the news that Longbridge will most probably close then where does that leave me? Yes, car shopping. I really like the ZS and would recommend one to anybody as long as their local dealer is a good one. New car chosen and hopefully ordered on Monday

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote