View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2014, 08:01   #44
bluesprint
Regular poster

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Quick update, one strut rebuilt with new spring and top bearing, second strut now dismantled, me... knackered. Even with the 'good' claw type spring compressors it takes quite some effort to get the spring down to a short enough length, and straight, to take the top nut on - especially when you have to give up, unwind it all to reposition the compressors and start again.

Hopefully get the second one together tomorrow, whether or not I'll get the car back together before Saturday remains to be seen.
Oh Yes, I fully agree.....struggled all day Friday with my broken spring, combination of tools not being where I left them, a broken socket, trip to the local shop to buy a new longer breaker bar and socket, another trip back to the same shop to but spring compressors because I couldnt find my old ones...but at least all the time back and forth gave it a chance for the penetrating oil to work on the pinch bolt !
The problem I found was that the spring compressors were maybe too short? As I compress the spring, it seems to distort in shape, no amount of effort would persuade the spring to fit onto the mount. I tried all combinations of repostioning the compressors, turning each side in turn, still no joy. Wondered if 3 compressors would be the answer?
Being tired after working a night shift doesnt help....tried again yesterday until the rain came..... give up, just ordered a "long pair of compressors" to try again next week. The joys of motoering!
bluesprint is offline   Reply With Quote