Thread: Road Tax Swizz
View Single Post
Old 16th June 2019, 12:48   #21
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I am one of those who believe the VED should be added to fuel duty (even though we already pay tax(es!!!) on that. I understand that the cost of goods will go up, and haulage firms will have to pay more (but also be able to claim back a lot more too). But the roads are ultimately paid by the government (via various councils and road services etc). So even if the VED added to fuel even had an additional 5 pence per litre added to maintain infrastructure, then it would make it a fairer system, that almost every one who uses a vehicle will pay towards the use and damage. I say almost, as I envisage bilking will increase, pay first will become commonplace and eliminate that.

Road Fund Licence was abolished in 1937

I am of the opposite view. Taxes are dynamic mechanisms that react in response to changes in people behaviour, improvements in knowledge, natural changes etc. and also to drive change. There is no point in limiting the number of tax mechanisms as this will limit the ability to differentiate between target populations for taxing and effecting change.

By all means, put additional tax on fuels to improve funding of chosen programmes, including public transport, but in my view VED on vehicles is an absolute must as a way of containing the problems caused by multi-car ownership per household.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote