View Single Post
Old 16th June 2019, 13:18   #23
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I am of the opposite view. Taxes are dynamic mechanisms that react in response to changes in people behaviour, improvements in knowledge, natural changes etc. and also to drive change. There is no point in limiting the number of tax mechanisms as this will limit the ability to differentiate between target populations for taxing and effecting change.

By all means, put additional tax on fuels to improve funding of chosen programmes, including public transport, but in my view VED on vehicles is an absolute must as a way of containing the problems caused by multi-car ownership per household.
Having it on fuel would still do that, at least as effectively as it does now with the VED. A person would still have to put fuel into their vehicle, or choose not to fuel it/drive it. Just as they could choose not to tax it?

I do see your logic, but it is in my mind the same as those who change their car to take benefit of a cheaper VED. It would still have to be insured, or insured to remain on the roads, so that would 'control' the abandoned vehicles on the road (via ANPR as it does now). this would also reduce the public expenditure on DVA offices.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote