Thread: Bonnie scotland
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2021, 08:07   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
The thought of Scottish independence horrifies me. I live 35 minutes from the non existent border. I fully understand the argument that Scotland has been dragged out of the EU against its Will, but 5 years of further Brexit type negotiations, arguments where the UK government takes the role of the EU and the Scottish government become the ‘brexiteers’ appalls me.
I totally support Scottish Independence. And I’m about a Scottish as a Cornish Pasty.

I think they should go it alone because it’s been on their agenda for decades. But I don’t think the U.K. becomes the equivalent of the EU - nor do I think Scotland becomes equivalent to the U.K. leaving the EU.

For a start, the money flows the other way.

The U.K. paid the EU a net sum of about £8billion a year (Actual sum was nearly double that but we got nearly half back via EU sponsored projects but the EU dictated where and how this rebated sum was spent.

In contrast, last year - for every £1000 per head raised via taxes for the Government of the Day to spend on running the country - England had £9,296 to spend per head - whilst Scotland received £11,247.

That is a whisker under 21% higher funding for Scotland.

Quite how the SNP will balance the books without the rest of the U.K. (and England in the main) bailing it out will be an interesting thing to watch.

So does England want to keep giving money to Scotland when Scotland’s Public Sector spend was £81billion but its total revenue was just £66billion?

And this shortfall is plugged primarily by English Taxpayers alone.

The Labour MP for Edinburgh South, Ian Murray, recently pointed out that the above £15billion deficit is “the entire annual cost of Scotland’s NHS!”

So for those of us in England paying for all this and all we get in return is Scotland constantly referring to us as the “Olde enemy” - Scottish Independence looks like a very good thing indeed.

I think there is a sure fire way for Scotland to win an independence vote - and that is to let the English vote.

Last edited by Darcydog; 3rd May 2021 at 08:09..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote