View Single Post
Old 11th January 2019, 23:10   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default White-hot brake disc

On the twisting hilly A65 I thought power seemed a bit down, then got a wobble on the steering wheel - puncture? - loose wheel? -ball joint or suspension failure?
Stopped to investigate and found a glowing hot front wheel disc; not cherry red but bright orange almost white. On thinking about it now perhaps I should have stood well clear in case it caused a fire.

Sat in the car and listened to the disc hissing and creaking while I debated if the car could even be moved onto the recovery truck. After a while I felt a slight movement of the car which was parked on a slight gradient, then a little more, flnally it rolled back freely so I carried on with my 300 mile journey but using the gears and handbrake to slow down and only a very light pressure on the pedal if absolutely necessary.

It now sems to be perfectly OK, but I will have the caliper off to investigate. Ironically it stuck before as I took it for mot, but the guy kindly took it off and freed it then gave me a pass.
Is front caliper sticking a regular problem and what's the best preventaTive measures. I plan to drive to Sweden later and certainly would like to avoid this problem again.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote